Wiley and I have a pretty good routine. He wakes up, I get him, we spend some time wallowing around and waking up. He's really sweet and gives lots of hugs and kisses in the morning. Then we go downstairs and he asks for Elmo, so he watches an Elmo's world episode or two on dvd while I feed the dogs, get the fires going, make coffee, unload the dishwasher, sometimes shower, etc. Then we read, play/draw or paint, eat breakfast, and go outside until either I go to work or I take Wiley to Gloria's. So this has been our routine for several months now and he watches the same DVD episodes a few times a week. Now it appears he's memorized parts of the show. At the beginning of the show Elmo asks do you know what elmo is thinking about today? And most of the time Wiley can answer that. Today, after Mr. Noodle tied his shoes he stood up and Wiley said Uh Oh seconds before the kids on the show said uh oh because Mr. Noodles pants fell down. I was pretty dismayed when I heard/saw this. So I immediately whisked him away and started reading and playing with him. Only to figure out that he's also memorized large numbers and parts of his books. We read Old Hat New Hat and there are pages of "too big, too blue, too red, too spotty" or something; well he knew several of the adjectives. At the end of the book the bear sees his old hat and says "just right," and guess who said "just right" without a prompt. Same thing for many of the other books I didn't think we read all that often.
After I come home from work I can ask him about his day and what he did and he works really hard to tell me about his day. for example, today:
What did you do today?
John (saw neighbor john)
spider (saw spiders)
help daddy wood (helped daddy load wood into the wagon).
Then I started to tell him about what's coming up for him; he has a doctor's appointment on Weds to follow up on his ear infection from about a month ago. I talked to him about Dr. Debby and how she would use a light to look in his ear.
Wiley had some questions:
"Docta Debby, hair?"
"maybe she'll look at your hair"
"docta Debby light ear?"
"yes, Dr. Debby will use the light to look in your ear."
"ear (points to ear); other ear (points to other ear)?"
"yes, she'll look in both ears."
"light?"
"yes she'll use the light"
"docta debby, ahhh (opens mouth)?"
"I don't know, she might look in your mouth, but she's not a dentist, the dentist looks in your mouth"
"docta debby, light, ear!"
He also loves the moon and tries to reach for it and blows it kisses and says 'hi moon.'
1 comment:
Maybe he's reading the books... Probably time for a new DVD.
Post a Comment