Wiley had this 103 degree fever for almost three days so I took him to the doctor. We were there forever, almost two hours, so by the end Wiley was screaming and crying, but for the first hour and half we were stuck in the exam room without even a book to look at he did really well. We made up as many games as we could and eventually wandered the halls and stole a pencil from the nurses station to draw on the tissue paper covering the exam table and played with dozens of their tongue depressors. Nevertheless, the doctor eventually came in and examined Wiley. He said Wiley's throat was red so he swabbed him for strep. Swabbing a baby's throat sucks. The strep was negative. So the doctor said he wanted to test Wiley for a UTI, but he wouldn't let me catch some of Wiley's pee in a cup, claiming it wouldn't be a clean catch. I was pissed about this because I know we could have caught some clean pee, Wiley loves to watch himself pee. So since we couldn't do it in a cup this would involve cathetering Wiley. I had to take one of my foster kids to the doctor once and saw this done. Her mom was there and made the decision to have it done, but it had us both in tears it was so awful. So I refused putting Wiley through it and I refused having blood work drawn. I felt so conflicted about the whole thing; was I making this decision because I didn't want to see Wiley go through pain? But I really didn't believe that it was necessary at this point. I'd been talking to the advice nurses and over the phone they seemed unconcerned about Wiley's fever and felt that it was really only an issue after three days of a high fever. Part of it, too, was that the doctor seemed unsure of himself and it was like he was guessing and for a guess I wasn't going to stick a tube up my boys penis without anesthesia.
Anyway, it appears I made the right decision. His fever didn't return last night and this morning he seems A-OK.
1 comment:
No wonder there haven't been any new pictures in a while. What a good mommy, he is lucky to have you.
Post a Comment