This, obviously, has nothing to do with Wiley in the immediate, but since he'll probably go to public school at some point and since there may be at least one person considering voting for someone even worse than Bush, I thought I'd tell this little tale:
I was talking with a 10 year old girl I work with about starting school again and how she was feeling about her new teacher. She was telling me how she doesn't really like him, explaining that he doesn't like it when they ask 'why are we doing this?'
So I tried to help her answer the question for herself, 'well, why do you go to school? to learn stuff, right?'
She said, "no, we go to school to take the EOGs"
I said, "oh."
The EOGs are End of Grade Tests, part of No child left behind "accountability." If kids fail the test they don't pass the grade, if enough kids fail the school gets put on probation/corrective action. So this little girl, four days into fifth grade, thinks she goes to school to take this test, not learn...of course, it's hard to pass a test if you're not learning. Good job, George. Good job.
No comments:
Post a Comment