Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Wiley has to go to the dentist to finish getting a tooth filled, he did exceptionally well the first time, the dentist told him she was 'drawing lightening mcqueen' on his tooth. I don't agree with lying to kids, but maybe this was the right thing to do. he just sat there, doped up on his valium, staring at the tv on the ceiling while she drilled away at the hole in his tooth ("nothing you could have done to prevent this, just the way some kids teeth are made.") Dentist said he did better than the big kids, which Wiley had me repeat to him for several days after the appointment.

So, Archer is just a talking away and in love with his dad. I remember this with wiley, too. At about 1 1/2 all I was good for was some milk, but the center of the universe is dad. Archer cried himself to sleep tonight, "I waaantt dahhhdeeee" and all they both want to do is go into the workshop and mess with tools.
Archer's language development is so different from Wiley's. Wiley certainly knew more words--could identify more stuff, knew his colors and animals, etc, but Archer speaks in sentences. I imagine this is because Archer gets exposed to so much more discussion because of Wiley, whereas Wiley was the discussion and focus of the language he heard: Wiley got language in an academic way from me and so could do all kinds of party language tricks (what does a dog say? count to five, etc). Instead, Archer hears, "Wiley, did you hear that dog say woof? did you see that three legged dog?" So Archer says, "where are you kitty?" Pretty amazing kids.

No comments: