Thursday, February 10, 2011

eyeball spinters

Well. this afternoon wiley was playing around near a forsythia bush, then he was crying, hard. I comforted and comforted and he cried and cried. He said his eye hurt. I looked and there was a very well defined cut and blood on his eyeball. And, there was a brown spot in there. Crap thought I. We washed our hands and I tried to move it, but it wasn't budging. So I called the peds office. They said I should go to urgent care, but I could call first to make sure that they could do something. So I called Urgent care they said I could come in and they'd look at it, but they might have to send me to the ER. I said, no, I wasn't going to do that (it'd be $200 worth of copays and be pretty traumatic for Wiley) so I'd rather go right to the ER. They said, actually, you should go to an eye doctor. At this point, it's 4.45pm. Even if I knew an eye doctor I could go to I could never get there by closing. A quick google search of Roxboro eye doctors and I found one who was willing to see us as soon as we could get there. They stayed late for us. They were country, but they were nice. Wiley did his absolute best. I knew it was going to be bad though when the doctor whispered to me, "there's a splinter in there" and left the room. When he came back he was hiding a pair of tweezers. The nurse helper lady put some eye drops in Wiley's eyes. The first drop stung. He asked if it was going to help and he knew when she didn't answer that it was going to hurt and he started freaking out. She quickly put numbing drops in his eyes, but that didn't help him. He kept crying and saying he was scared and nervous and needed a break, a time out. It was hear breaking. Luckily, Archer was being good. Every now and then he'd say, "mommy, pick me up," but he seemed to get it and was quiet. So, the doctor ditched the tweezers and started using cotton tip to ease the splinter out of his eyeball, but that didn't help Wiley not freak out. We'd all try in different positions with different encouraging words and different techniques, but the splinter wasn't moving and Wiley was crying so hard and getting more and more worked up. So, basically by the end I had Wiley on my lap in the doctor's chair and in a head lock and the nurse helper lady had me in some kind of head lock and the doctor ended up using the tweezers to get the majority of the splinter out. All done while Wiley was screaming and crying and doing whatever he could to get out. There's still some splinter in there, but there was no way he was going to get it out. Pretty crappy day. After that we went out for McDonalds. Gross.

1 comment:

Cali Lovett said...

this just sounds horrendous. i'm so sorry! i hope things are better now. thinking of you!