Thursday, May 10, 2012

amendment one

Hello Friends,
My meeting group will be going to Duke's East Campus to try and measure a kilometer on Friday morning. The children will need a water bottle (please check that it doesn't leak) in a backpack for this trip. Also, because we will be doing A LOT of walking, this would be a wonderful day for sturdy, comfortable walking shoes.

Also, I wanted to let you know that the children in my meeting group shared their opinions on Amendment One yesterday-- sparked by their participation in voting with parents. The discussion continued this morning as they shared their disappointment that Amendment One passed (Wiley surveyed the group and their was consensus around this feeling). Many children reflected on families they know that would be affected by this amendment-- so there was a personal connection. Some children expressed a desire to protest, and reflected what they had learned about the Civil Rights Movement. Phillip mentioned that we needed another Freedom Ride, and in solidarity Eva said she was moving out of this state when she was older so she could choose who she was going to marry. Alexa questioned why the government wasn't making the decision since not everyone agreed on the amendment. What a valuable opportunity this was for us!

My role during this conversation was to support the children as they expressed their opinions. I tried to explain why some people want the amendment, while others do not, as well as answer their questions and clarify some of their misperceptions. There was some confusion about what an amendment is and how it is different than a law. There was also discussion about voting versus consensus and whether a majority should be able to make decisions for the minority. Furthermore we discussed why the government had to ask the people to vote instead of making the decision. Moreover the children asked what the President thought of this amendment, which led to a discussion about the way our President has experienced discrimination (because of his skin complexion as well as his father's religious beliefs). So many rich thoughts and ideas, but it was clear that these discussions just touched the surface of what still needs to be thought through and understood. I wouldn't be surprised if there is still some confusion about this amendment. It's quite a complex idea to understand government, laws, constitutions, amendments... not to mention equal rights and who is eligible to be considered married. You may want to continue the discussion at home where you can better gauge your child's understanding of these very complex ideas.

I do have to say that I felt so honored to be present to their heartfelt desire that everyone be treated equally and make their own decision. I was touched by their warmth and kindness, care and consideration for the rights of other human beings. Your children are amazing.

And as always, please let me know if you have any questions or thoughts.

Affectionately,
Carmen
********************************************************
Thank you, Carmen.
This is a beautiful email and summary of the day. I've read it a few times now and each time I tear up. I so, so appreciate having you as Wiley's teacher.
-Elizabeth
********************************************************

Thanks, Elizabeth. I must say Wiley's emotional intelligence has really shined through during these discussions. He has a deep, mature beyond his years, compassion for everyone affected by this amendment. I loved listening to his thoughts and questions. You have a lot to be proud of... He was thoughtful and quite articulate during these discussions. As a matter of fact, he led and guided much of the subject matter.

So glad I had this year with your whole family!

Carmen



No comments: