Wednesday, September 7, 2011

kindergarten so far

Wiley told me that they are learning to be artists in kindergarten and learning about Eric Carle. Wiley told me that they read the Very Grouchy Caterpillar and he thinks he knows the moral of the story. I asked what it was and he said that it was probably that we shouldn't think just because someone's small they can't do stuff. I've never read this book, but I will have to find it now.

This afternoon at pick up Wiley's teacher stopped me and told me that she was telling the kids a story this afternoon. After she had finished Wiley said, "I have a story for you" and he launched into a story. She was so impressed and said she'd never seen a child that age be so dramatic in his descriptions and story telling. She couldn't remember all the details of his story, but it was something about some people (a wizard, a gnome, and Indiana Jones) going up to a castle and knocking on a big wooden door. Apparently he used all kinds of inflection and body language to tell his story. Wiley doesn't remember it, either, though....

But maybe he's onto something when he says he wants to be an actor (and a scientist).

Archer's a story teller, too, but is so much shyer about his stories. This evening he was telling me about "my first teacher she was my favorite teacher, but she died" and on and on.

No comments: