Saturday, January 30, 2010

parent teacher conference

Well, I met with Barbara and Kathleen for Wiley's first parent teacher conference. They didn't have a whole lot to say; Wiley is developmentally appropriate in all areas, no serious concerns. He is the youngest in the class, with quite a significant age difference to most of the class--most of the kids are or will be 4 before May. They said Wiley's academics are on par or above most of the kids, but they do notice he's younger in his social development, really only in one area--he dawdles and gets distracted so much more than the other kids. He's always the last one to lunch bunch and snack...stopping to look at the art on the walls, takes a long time to focus on washing his hands or other tasks he HAS to complete, will stop to look at the posters hung up in the bathroom, or just moves slowly sometimes. They said it wasn't anything to be worried about, but they thought if he continued to be so distracted next year then I might want to look into it (no). They said he gets along with the kids really well and doesn't have a hard time holding his own (even though he is physically littler than most of the kids). They did not recommend that I think about Kindergarten in two years, even though he'd barely make the cutoff. So I guess for next year at least I'll send him to the preschool.

No comments: