Sunday, March 18, 2012

this is probably boring, but I am really excited about my garden and my bees! My bees are so happy. I was so worried they were going to die in the winter, but they are so healthy and they've grown their colony. Now I'm just worried about them again: that they won't swarm and leave me, that they won't succumb to Colony collapse disorder, that all the tobacco pesticides around here won't kill them, etc, etc. I love seeing them buzzing around. They make me so happy. And my chickens are laying eggs like crazy, there are 42 eggs in my fridge! I can strap Cora Bell on and Wiley and Archer will usually hang out with me out there and help a little. I've got blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, a fig tree, a muscadine vine, a peach tree, asparagus, potatoes (2 kinds), garlic, onions, spinach, romaine, peas, radishes (Archer's request), broccoli, beets, carrots, and a bunch of herbs. Can't plant the summer crops just yet, but that'll include tomatoes, basil, cucumbers, watermelon, lima beans, and maybe some peppers. Then in the fall, squash and pumpkins and the spring garden over again. No zucchinis this year I think; just not a huge fan. I'm really going to ramp up my canning, freezing, and preserving skills this year...

1 comment:

Carolyn Martin said...

wow! find yourself a little farmer's market and make a few extra bucks. wiley would love to sell the goods. and i love radishes