I love Wiley's school. I really think he's getting an amazing education and experience; and so am I. I guess I knew theoretically about wealthy people, and I thought I knew wealthy people, but apparently there is a whole layer of WEALTHY people I thought only existed in Holllywood or politics, but not in my own community. And, as a result, I keep having these kinds of conversations:
Other mother to her child at pick up time: "Let's go now, we have to pick up Irma. She's waiting for us at the doctor's."
Me: "oh, that's cute, is that what you call your grandma?"
Other mother: "No, that's out housekeeper's name."
Me, while having a conversation with other mother who had mentioned previously that she was working on finding an internship for her highschool aged son (that alone was an indication that she was WEALTHY--I didn't know anyone who did an un-mandated internship during the summer in highschool--but that's not the point here.) Also, you have to know that there is a public high school in Durham called Jordan High.
me: "Have you had any luck finding son an internship?"
Other mother: "Well, I think instead he's considering doing an exchange program with Jordan" (he goes to a boarding school in the mountains, currently)
Me: "Oh, wow. How do you feel about that?"
Other mother: "Well, I'm not sure. It would such be a great opportunity for him."
Me: [blank stare, trying to compute]
Other mother: "The current king started this school modeled after Deerfield academy in X (Connecticut?) and he's been studying Arabic for two years, so I know he'd love it....."
Me: "ooooh."
Other mother: "Do you all have plans for spring break?"
Me: "well, we might go to the zoo, but gas is so high... I don't know. What about you?"
Other mother: "We're going to go to our house in the bahamas."
Me: "oh."
me, following upon a previous conversation: "have you had any luck finding a nanny?"
other mother: [with depressive sigh] "no"
me: "oh, that's too bad. you think you could find a duke student to help out."
OM: "well I really need someone who can help clean the house, too. My husband travels so much for work...and we're (her and her 2 kids) in this big house..."
me: "oh, are you working?
OM: "no."
and then there's this from Wiley, "Edward lives in LUXURY"-- he says it like it's in italics even.
They're all really lovely, nice, normal people; we just lead very different lives.
1 comment:
LOL!!!
Post a Comment