Tuesday, May 12, 2009

so today at the playground wiley was playing with some older kids on a pirate ship thing with metal picnic tables on it. He was climbing onto the seat of the picnic table, he must have been standing on the seat and managed to fall forehead first into the metal picnic table bench. I was maybe 15 feet away, watching, but somehow can't remember seeing it happen. Maybe I blocked it out. When I picked him up, he was screaming, he already had a golf ball sized purple egg on his forehead--he was only laying there for maybe 30 seconds before I managed to get to him (under the bench). I was shocked at how quickly his head swelled up like that. The only other adult at the playground was trying to hide her concern. I luckily had an ice pack in the car with our lunch, but Wiley refused to let me put it on him, saying he wanted to get back to playing Jack Sparrow with the other kids, (he was still catching his breath from crying). I let him play, and ice packed him as much as I could. I called the doctor who said to watch out for vomiting, being "off," headaches, losing consciousness, if the egg gets bigger, or anything weird. oooh Natasha Richardson in my mind. I am also supposed to wake him up two times per night for the next two nights to make sure he can be aroused easily. The egg has since gone down, which I think is good and he is delaying sleep, maybe also good. I just touched the egg and it's all squishy in the middle, I guess blood sloshing around inside there. Poor baby, I feel so bad for him. Then, as I was getting ready to put the boys to bed, Archer was sitting on Wiley's bed while Wiley picked out his books to read and just as Wiley climbed up onto the bed in between me and Archer, Archer fell forward and landed smack on the bed safety rail right between his eyes and on his forehead. He screamed like I've never heard him scream before. poor baby, also refused to be iced.

Archer is really curious and always reaching out for things and exploring as much as he can--which gets dangerous at times since when he decides to launch his 23+ pounds forward or to the side, if you're not prepared he can topple you and everything around you over. He loves sitting in the grass and pulling it up and crunching old leaves.

No comments: