Thursday, May 20, 2010

Night weaning isn't going well. Last night there was a lot of awakeness and sadness. We'll see what tonight brings.

So, at night, I have started using guided imagery to help him calm his body down and get to sleep. Something like, "imagine you're on a cloud, it's soft, warm....etc." Anyway, tonight at the end the story was going like: "you're so comfortable on your cloud, and you feel safe, and warm, and your body is getting sleepy. Your eyes are closed and you are listening to your breathing go in and out, in and out. As you breath in, you breathe in happiness and as you breathe out, you breathe out sadness." Then, Wiley asked, "why am I breathing out sadness?" So I explained to him, he could imagine breathing out all the things that were bothering him or making him sad. I added that it was ok to feel sad, but if he wanted to get rid of it then he could imagine breathing it out. Wiley then said, "I'm ok with being sad. Sometimes I'm sad and sometimes I'm happy." This is sweet and makes me so happy and so sad at the same time. I wish my dear baby never knew what sad feels like.

1 comment:

Grammy said...

sounds like a lot of work putting them to sleep. things have changed a lot since i put you to bed.