Monday, May 17, 2010

night weaning. well, I decided I should do this. I figured at 17 months, he should sleep through the night and I should, too. Last night went very badly. I talked to him before bed that there'd be no nursing after "night night." But at midnight he woke up and wanted to nurse. I told him no and it was super down hill after that. I held it together well for a while, letting him express his sadness and frustration and did my best to comfort him--talking to him about how he could nurse when the sun woke up and that he had to go to sleep in order to wake up. I even tried telling him he had to go to sleep because I had to work in the morning--I don't know why that didn't work. I even fixed him a bottle of milk, which he did drink. But he was not happy and kept crying and whining and scratching me and throwing things at me and hitting and biting. Poor baby. We went downstairs and upstairs and tried the crib and three different beds, tried the couch, the floor, but he wouldn't go back to sleep and he raged--screaming so loud. So at 3am I started to lose it--my patience and my resolve, I slammed some things, screamed into my pillow, and stomped down the steps. Luckily York came in to help. Unfortunately wiley also came into our room and said, he was "tired of all that crying." By 3.30am we all passed out exhausted with no nursing. Tonight, it's still early, but I talked all afternoon about no boobie after sleep, so we'll see. I have two cuts on my face, so hopefully it won't be that bad.

1 comment:

Grammy said...

hang in there. time for everyone to sleep through the night. no midnight snacks!