Friday, March 6, 2009

allergies and rocks

We finally took Wiley to get tested for tree nut allergists and he does indeed have a walnut allergy. The doctor wants us to avoid all nuts to be safe. Wiley was great throughout the whole appointment. The biggest worry is in restaurants or get togethers where there aren't labels on foods and someone throws some walnuts in a brownie and Wiley can't resist to eat it. Yikes. We have to go back to meet with the allergist annually and he'll have to have blood drawn annually as well. There is a possibility he could outgrow the allergy. Interesting things we learned though, is that allergies aren't hereditary per se, you don't inherit nut allergies, but if I had a shell fish allergy Wiley would be more likely to have some kind of allergy. Also small exposure to the allergen can make an allergy go away--though this has only been tested with bug bites and peanuts. And since Wiley's reaction to the original offending walnut was somewhat minor it's likely if he somehow eats another walnut his reaction will be similar and it's unlikely he'd have a serious reaction but there's no guarantee. So after the looong appointment we took wiley and archer to the playground where Wiley ran around and chased girls. When things were winding down I handed Archer to York and they were sitting at a picnic table and I went to talk to Wiley who was picking up and throwing rocks with another boy, about 5 years old. These were rocks about the size of your foot. The other boy walked away when I walked over to Wiley and I didn't pay attention to where he had gone until I saw his mom running--sprinting--across the playground yelling his name in a total panic. I turned and saw everything in a slow motion...the boy was heading right toward York and Archer holding one of these foot sized rocks over his head preparing to throw it right at York and Archer, he was maybe two feet away from them when I realized what was going on. I saw York holding his hand out in a stop position in front of Archer's face and really didn't feel scared or panicked, I knew York would never let anything happen to his child. The mom reached the boy and got the rock away from him and told York that she didn't know if the boy would throw the rock at them or not because he's autistic. Later York told me that the boy never broke a stare with York and York was convinced the boy was going to throw that rock at them. I'm just not going to think about it anymore.

No comments: