Friday, March 13, 2009

what a difference a day makes

today was fabulous. wiley, archer, and i went to amelia's house to babysit olive since their childcare was closed today and we played our butts off all day. at first i was watching wiley and olive closely (since he's bitten her on the cheek before, but didn't leave marks) and playing with them, but after we decorated cookies, I had to put archer down for a nap so i was with him in another room and wiley and olive played incredibly well together. they both have amazing vocabs and listen to each other, which i think is the key to getting along and the lack of vocab is I think really at the root of the "terrible 2s." at one point i heard wiley say, "olive, i'm so proud of you for sharing that with me." and later olive beaming and coming to tell me, "I shared my icing with wiley." They played finger puppets, hide and seek, told stories, and jumped on the bed together totally with me out of the room, I was spying on them, but they were so great together, not one conflict. Toward the end of the day, after neither of them napped, I heard an Olive mmmmeeeiiiyyy, indicating something was wrong, but neither stopped playing to come to complain to me or amelia, who was home by then. Instead, Wiley turned away and then Olive asked, "what did you do wiley"
"I pushed you because you took that toy away from me. I'm sorry Olive"
"I'm sorry, too, Wiley."
and they went back to playing. No mom intervention needed. Yahoo! York says some days will be like this and others won't so I shouldn't take either type of day to heart, but whatever. My kid and Amelia's kid are amazing. We're going back on Monday...

1 comment:

Grammy said...

the nicest thing is that its just another day in his life...i'm pretty sure he doesnt keep score. glad to see he's normal and handling it all.