Wednesday, March 4, 2009

sleep

i can't believe it, but i can put archer down in his bassinet "tired but awake" and he will fall asleep, without crying. I would read about "tired but awake" when wiley was a wee one and i'd think, what bullshit is this? I'd try it with Wiley, but he'd scream until I picked him up, I'd even try to put him down asleep and he'd wake up and cry. these sleep books need to come with a warning: some babies just aren't sleepers. Even now, Wiley's awake at night more than Archer.

3 comments:

sarah d v said...

sounds like what carolyn does. Bedtime is a 5 minute ordeal right C? I'm learning lots - basically babies are different.

Carolyn Martin said...

liz - this is a really good thing. I can't tell you how important this is for your boys. Cash is at the point where he almost can ask to go to bed by pointing at his crib and pulling his blanket through the rungs and that makes me feel good as a mother that he feel comfortable enough in his bed to do that. it changed a lot over the months and was hard when he was teething or sick but for the most part he's always gone to bed tired but awake and put himself to sleep.

Carolyn Martin said...

oh, and, resist the urge to cuddle him too long at bedtime. i always want to linger longer than i should but remind myself that bedtime is bedtime and we can play tomorrow!